ARCSEA is a non-profit and non-government organization working to systematically promote children’s rights and works towards increased children’s participation in social transformation in Southeast Asia.
The Association for the Rights of Children in Southeast Asia (ARCSEA) is a non-profit and non-government organization that systematically promotes children’s rights and works towards increased children’s participation in social transformation in Southeast Asia.
Such pledge is recognized by the organization to eventually achieve its vision of a society where all children fully enjoy their rights. Its membership is composed of individual child rights advocates from different professions who firmly believe that every child has a right to participate in social issues affecting his/her sector.
ARCSEA takes its roots from Arci Cultura e Sviluppo (ARCS-Italy), and international NGO based in Italy which started its operations in manila in 1997 to implement the Upgrading of the Philippine General Hospital project which was supported by the Government of Italy.
ARCS-Italy was instrumental in assisting the Philippine General Hospital in establishing the first
milkbank of breastmilk for neonates, as well as in campaigning for breastfeeding.
As part of the exit strategy of ARCS-Italy upon completion of the project in 2001, Arci Cultura e Sviluppo-Southeast Asia (ACRS-SEA) was established as a transitional structure in order to continue the work of ARCS-Italy in promoting children’s rights in Southeast Asia.
In 2004, it was renamed as the Association for the Rights of Children in Southeast Asia (ARCSEA), an International NGO that works in the Southeast Asian region and has since been advocating the issues of maternal and child health, early childhood care and education and children’s empowerment and participation.
It has also assisted in establishing day care centers in various urban poor areas in Metro Manila by providing funds for building day care infrastructures and facilitating curriculum development and training on nationalist, mass-oriented and scientific education for pre-school kids in cooperation with the Parents Alternative for Early Childhood Care and Development Incorporated (PAECCD, Inc.).
We envision a society where all children fully enjoy their rights.
ARCSEA is a nonprofit, non-government organization that systematically promotes children’s rights and works towards increased children’s participation in social transformation in Southeast Asia.
ARCSEA’s strategic goals are the following:
- contribute to children’s capacity to express themselves and access relevant information, services and resources;
- promote initiatives in the formation of children’s organizations;
- develop and promote rights-based approaches and resources in support of children’s issues in SEA;
- contribute to policy development and advocacy on child rights issues in SEA;
- contribute to solidarity and exchange on child rights issues;
- enhance the capacity of ARCSEA to effectively respond to internal and external changes.
ARCSEA is also part of several networks to pursue children’s rights:
- Save Nueva Vizcaya Movement – a movement with urgent mission to oppose destructive large-scale mining projects in Nueva Vizcaya;
- Network Opposed to the New Centennial Water Source Project- a network that resists the construction of dams that will affect Dumagat Indigenous People of Rizal and Quezon Provinces, Philippines and other nearby communities;
- Save Our Schools (SOS) Network;
- Unity of Child Rights Advocates Against Inhumane Treatment and Neglect of Children (UNCHAIN Children);
- Task Force Children of the Storm (TFCOS) – a network of child-focused NGOs in Metro Manila formed for relief and rehabilitation of children during times of calamities. The TFCOS is currently conducting relief operations in the Philippines in response to the current Pandemic and the impact of the successive typhoons (Goni and Vamco).